Tuesday, March 31, 2015

If it seems like I've been lost in lets remember...

The other day the Dining Companion said that I was "always nostalgic about the places we've been." That's true. I tend to get wistful about places we've visited.

Revisiting a place we enjoyed doesn't feel like a rerun or a an attempt to relive past good times. Returning for me, is the chance to seek out new experiences, things we might have missed the first time around. Maybe the chance to see a place in a whole new light. 

Lets be honest, New Orleans at Mardi Gras is not the same New Orleans you'll see at other times of the year. Mardi Gras is fun but the city is about so much more than that. How could you not want to see it in a different guise?
The same could be said of Munich in September. We loved Oktoberfest and had an awesome, beyond belief time. But I long to return; to see the city under a summer sky. To experience a different Munich than the one we saw before.
So nostalgic? Maybe. But not so much a look back through rose colored glasses or with a hope to recapture some ideal. No, more of a chance to see more and do more in a place I've grown fond of.

While the list of places I want to see is long, there will hopefully always be room on it to return to the places I love. 



Happy traveling!


*
If it seems like I've been lost
In let's remember
If you think I'm feeling older
And missing my younger days
Oh, then you should have known
Me much better
Cause my past is something that never
Got in my way



Billy Joel - Keeping the Faith


No comments:

Post a Comment