Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Sal Grosso - Atlanta, GA


I really love churrascarias, restaurants like Fogo de Chão and Texas de Brazil. I've started searching these types of places out when I travel.



While there is a Fogo de Chão in Atlanta we decided to give the local Brazilian steakhouse a try. So this weekend we had dinner at Sal Grosso. Like all of these types of places Sal Grosso has a huge salad bar and a choice of many types of roasted meats. And like all churrascarias you are given a small card or disc when you're seated. One side is red and one side is green. Red means no thank you, I've had plenty and green means bring on the chow. I always forget to flip my card to red. Darn!



Sal Grosso means coarse salt and that saltiness is very evident in all of the meats they serve. It works on some cuts, the Picanha for instance, but it tends to overwhelm a bit on the chicken. But not to worry. If all that salt makes you thirsty just order more caipirinhas. Caipirinhas are the national drink of Brazil made by muddling cachaca, limes and sugar. So simple but so, so good and easy to make at home.


A variety of items from the salad bar

Yes please!
 One of the best items available at Sal Grosso is only available on Sunday. It's a stew made with black beans, sausage and other meats called feijoada. Seriously delicious. Here it is served with rice but I've had it served with mashed potatoes other places. I'm looking for a recipe I can make at home. This is really good stuff.


Believe it or not I wasn't able to order dessert. I know, I couldn't believe it either. But there it is, no dessert for me. On my next visit to Sal Grosso (you had to know I'd go back right? I can leave no desserts untried!) I'm going to go on Sunday for the salad bar and dessert. I can't wait to try the feijoada again.

While Fogo de Chão may be the gold standard of churrascarias I'm really glad we gave Sal Grosso a try. And now that I have a plan to tackle it for next time, I can't wait to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment